Observed Trials Tech

So what's this all about? It's about trials and making your trials bike perfom better. This blog is to share ideas and expose trials riders to technical improvements for both modern, vintage and twinshock machinery.

Thursday, March 07, 2013

DT2 Surprise!



Pleasantly surprised actually!
I have had this 1972 Yamaha DT2 for at least 15 years.
It has 1440 miles on it.
Survived a tornado that tossed a  huge hickory tree through the roof of the shed where it was resting. Had the honor of being the only bike damaged by said tree, having the taillight smashed by a way word limb.
I never seemed to find the time to try to start it...that's right, I never tried to start it....ever.
Well, I decided it was time. I pulled the plug and it had spark. Now this bike has points! I was amazed to see a spark not to mention it was a big blue one!
The carb was another story....totally varnished up! Yes the slide was stuck...had to pull it off cables and all. A trip to the carb dip tank freed things up. A couple of new o-rings and a bowl gasket and we are as good as new!
Took it outside and gave the starter a few...ok, ok., many healthy prods! POW! Darn thing kicked back!
Now, my son was here working on his Honda. He has been a little more protective of me since I passed 60 (I think he thinks I'm gettin' old). "Dad, Let me start that for ya."
Bang! Ouch! #$%#^&!  That hurt son? "Hell, Yes!....Let me try it again!" Kick,kick,kick, Pop!
Ouch!
Now, the boys shin is bleeding as he slipped off the starter.
I made an executive decision to roll it down the hill and jump start it. Fired right up. Smoked pretty good for 10 minutes or so, then started to clean out.
Took off on a short trail ride, staying close to home and where we were truck accessible. Did not need it as she ran fine.
Put my boy on it and he came back grinning carrying on about how good it ran and how much fun it was!
I have come to the conclusion that this would be a fun dual sport machine for around home and plan on setting it up for just that!
 

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


hits